Saturday, February 27, 2010

Amazing Toolchain DXF

The scenario: Given we have a simple Logo, just a circle, as a dxf-File so called Drawing Interchange Format. So what is actually nessesary to fill the circle with dark blue and get is as png, svg, pdf.
Normally, one think the solution is simple just give me Visio and I import this stuff as CAD-Drawing use the fill-button and click export to the severall format. BUT it is definetly not so easy.
Although Visio supports fill out, it did actual not work at all. So I tried first to export it to a high resolution jpeg and tried to fill it out in Paint but he we got the problem of antialiasing stuff. So the edges blur out, this does look dirty and uncool. Next I exported out of visio a svg file, open it in firefox, manually set the fill style for the svg path and try to reimport it to powerpoint (tool of my choice for presentation). But as we all know Microsoft does not like SVG at all (although they are active member in the community, I still hope for svg support in IE), Powerpoint was not able to import the svg. A friend of mine imported the svg in KeyNode and export it as ppt. Now I was successful on opening the ppt with powerpoint and now I could export all my wished format from Powerpoint.
Additional I have to mention that a tried to search some free tools to edit dxf files directly, the only stuff I found is an pure french Java editor, which is in no way useable at all.

What a amatzing toolchain just to handle an dxf-file. If you got advise for me please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment